[thelist] is there a client side php validator?

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Thu Oct 31 11:59:01 CST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Joel Canfield wrote:

> Not when all it returns is a blank page, which my errors seem to do. I'm
> reasonably new to PHP - is there something obvious I'm missing to see these
> errors? If it's anything like the error messages from VBScript that would
> probably be perfect.

Normally PHP does validate the code at runtime and does give errors if
you're missing a semi-color, bracket, etc (basically anything that
prevents the code from tokenizing properly).

The settings error_reporting and check_errors may be set in your php.ini
to not display errors.  If you are using PHP on a server you do not
maintain this is fairly likely.  Check php.net for ini_get() and ini_set()
if you want to change these values during runtime.  If you can't edit the
php.ini file this may be your only recourse.

It's good to have the error reporting off on a production site because
unexpected errors could give away information about your code that might
be a security risk, as well as being pretty ugly to your average surfer.

Hope that helps!
Kelly