[thelist] email server sql DB

Timothy J. Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Sun Nov 3 13:05:01 CST 2002

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 17:35:28 -0000, Andrew Maynes <andrew at humanbehaviour.co.uk>
 wrote:

> presumably php has no problems and difference talking to postgres as
> opposed to MySQl?

Presumably not... I had meant to mention Postgres as well, although I don't
know much about it, there seems to be a fairly high number of folks who
respect it.

For whatever reasons, more people use/know MySQL with PHP than Postgres (at
least judging from the contents of mail on the PHP list).

I seem to remember someone mentioning something about an "abstraction
layer" with PHP that basically would allow you to use the same PHP code
with either MySQL or PG.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that you may find more folks who are using
MySQL and therefore more folks who can help with potential problems....
That said, it doesn't mean that just because more people use something
doesn't mean it's better.... look how many people use Windows over Un*x, or
for that matter how many more use Linux over FreeBSD.

(Well that ought to start at least 3 flame wars and a Slashdot lynching
party ;-)

TjL