[thelist] multiple Words

Jerry Scannell JerryScannell at cox.net
Mon Nov 4 11:30:01 CST 2002

The first question to ask, is what OS are you running???  Because not all
OS's can utilize all MS Offices products.

If you have Windows 95/98 then Office 97 can be installed, if it is Windows
98, Me, or 2000 then Office 2000 can be installed.  If you have Windows XP,
then ONLY Office XP can be installed (XP doesn't like too many of the
earlier versions of anything!).

I would not recommend installing more than one Microsoft Office.  For many
reasons, not the least of which are:
1.  There is a global folder called "My Documents" that all three MS Office
products use.  You wouldn't be able to easily distinguish one from the
other.

2.  There could be some serious consequences as to which version of Office
created which document.  How would you keep track of the fact the
yaddy-yaddy.doc was created with Windows 97 and accounts.doc was created
with Office 2000?  They aren't downward compatible, so opening an Office
2000 document from Office 97 would result in an error.

Why would you want to do this in the first place?  As far as doing some
things better goes, as you upgrade from one version to another, just learn
the new ways of doing things.  you are really getting yourself into a can of
worms!

Jerry