[thelist] quick domain/dns records question

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon Nov 4 13:04:01 CST 2002

Alex Bainbridge wrote:

>>>www.domain.com and domain.com are separate records correct?
>
>>Those aren't two domains -- the second is a domain, the first is
>>(generally) a host within that domain.
>
> Umm - actually the first is referred to as a fully qualified domain name
> (FQDN) - but lets not get pedantic about this!

Which is exactly why I didn't go into this further, but since you
brought it up...  :-)

"www.domain.com" is only a FQDN *if* there's a host address that's
associated with it.

It's entirely possible for "www" to be a subdomain of "domain.com"
instead of a hostname. You might have a farm of systems with names
like server1.www.domain.com, with "www.domain.com" resolving to a
load balancer's address.

So one IP address can actually represent multiple servers, and one
server can handle multiple IP addresses or one IP address hosting
multiple domain names.

And nslookup, or host, or dig (depending on your OS) is your friend. :-)

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.