[thelist] FW: Please don't vote.

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Mon Nov 4 17:24:00 CST 2002

Evolters,

Let me take this opportunity to apologize to everyone for contributing
to an off-topic post such as the one in question. I should have just
ignored it and taken it with a "grain of salt" as they say. (who's they?
i'm not sure.)

thanks,
chris.

and now for my tip.

<tip type="network administration - organization" author="chris w.
parker">
If you run a network like me (though fairly small) it is always a good
idea to identify and label wall jacks and cables throughout your
building/area.

Originally, only the ethernet outlet panels on the wall were labeled
numerically. Realizing this was not suitable (after having to use a
mirror and flashlight to see behind desks too many times) I decided it
was time to also label the wall right at carpet level directly below the
jack with a little numerical sticker. This way I do not have to crawl
into odd spaces to find out what jack I am using. Makes moving
workstations and phones much easier.

Another good idea is to get a hold (or make) of a primitve floor plan of
your office and label it. This will help you know where a jack is
located without running around into each office trying to find jack #58.

And lastly, create a simple flowchart that lays out your network. Use
both external and internal ip addresses and identifying names when
labeling your equipment.

These are just a few of some of the things I've learned while doing my
job by myself. Having said that, they may not even be the best way to
keep your network organized.
</tip>