[thelist] contract work opportunity

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 5 14:59:00 CST 2002

Hey all,

I have an opportunity to bid on some contract work that I will most
likely need help with. I can't think of a better place to get some
good folks than this list. What follows is a brief description and
what they want me to come back with. Feel free to contact me offline
if you wish with any questions.

Here is its in quick points:
- The company is an investment banking firm

- They pay lots of money for email blasts and targeted email
newsletters, often costing $100,000 - sometimes they are not even
sure if they get what they are paying for

- What they really need is control of bonafide emails of people that
are interested in the product - an opt in list. Then they can save
the money they are paying out since they would have their own list.

- They most likely need a web site that has top quality content from
known entities in the investment world (we're dealing with penny
stocks here)

So, building a web site and an email database - not a problem. The
trick is getting people to the site and getting them to sign up for
the opt in list.

Maybe this is more marketing than development, but really I think
they go hand in hand. I suggested to them they get some good, well
known people in the field to provide content for a web site, and
build quality content around that.

Then you offer a (however often) newsletter (opt in) that is only for
memebers. You won't get people to sign up for the newsletter unless
they find the web site content of very high quality.

One question is what are some good ways of getting the right people
to the site. Forget search engines and all that - forget the basic
stuff. What about some good guerilla tactics - posting to discussion
boards, chat rooms and the like.

I could use any brainstorms on this you can come up with. Have any of
you used any form of web advertising you found helpful? Not helpful?
Forget email spam or anything like that.

In case this is off topic..here's a tip:

<tip type="using typeof in JS">

As .jeff has often said - using the DOM level 0 method of accessing
forms and its elements is the way to go. One nice thing about this is
the typeof property. Let's say you want to run through a complicated
form and check all the boxes. You can do this:

for(x=0; x<=document.forms['myform'].length; x++){
   if(document.forms['myform'].elements[x].type == "checkbox"){
      form.elements[x].checked = true;
   }
{

</tip>