[thelist] What shall we do with the W3C DOM?

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Wed Nov 6 08:03:00 CST 2002

At 13:54 06/11/2002 +0000, Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

   <Snip>

>So when the W3C DOM comes into serious use we web developers should take
>one step back from the visible and clickable interface of the website and
>concentrate on the application layer that *creates* this visible and
>clickable interface.
>
>Is this a brilliant idea or complete nonsense?

   It's good, alright, and like all good ideas, it will meet with enormous
resistance. Marketing departments the world over will have heart attacks at
the idea that they can't control how the users see the material. And, of
course, there's the browser delay in taking it in...

   The end result will need to be called something other than a website, I
think. Because as long as it's called a website, clients will want to
control the look of it, and users will want to view it in the brower they
already have.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365705