[thelist] MySQL as CMS

Martin Paul Burns martin.burns at uk.ibm.com
Wed Nov 6 08:33:01 CST 2002

The other thing is that it's easier said than done to train people in
(correct) HTML. You'll often face a combination of

1) Resistance ("I don't *want* to - it's your job, you're the techie")

2) Over-enthusiasm ("I'll just copy how to do it from my handy reference
'Deprecated HTML for Idiots'"). I once had to remove CMS access from a
very, very senior person who came in the weekend before launch to 'help'
and by putting in content without closing <p> tags, broke the site's DHTML
for Netscape users. And don't talk to me about people using presentational
tags rather than semantic ones...

As before, if you can find something which does all this in a nice fire and
forget kind of way, use it.

Example:
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Articles/STX

Cheers
Martin

Koen wrote:

Only thing you (maybe) have to keep in mind is markup. Sometimes
journalists/editors want to put text/sentences in italic or bold (and
come up with that idea when you're finished).

You can learn them the HTML-tags, but you might run into problems if
you have special characters that need to be converted into entities
(I normaly take the results of my query and convert everything at
once during the output (in php with htmlentities()), it's stored in
it's original form in the database).
So I give the customer custom tags, like %%word%% to put "word"
italic. with a function i replace everything at output

This way of formatting isn't new, it's generally used in Wiki's
<http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki?WikiWikiWeb> (I used the textformating
rules as basic principle)