[thelist] Why would I want on-line live tech support?

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Wed Nov 6 12:38:01 CST 2002

Rob Smith asked:

>I've found a really neat web site today: www.homepages.com, which offers
>live (chat) tech support. I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with valid
>reasons why I would want this. Or better yet, What's the best way I can
>offer this and be effective globally (at all times).

'cos the poor wee lass on the home page needs a decent meal...

Seriously, it depends on what you want it for... Hosting help? Tech support?
Sales support? There are dozens of good reasons to offer it live chat, but
do they make sense for your/clients business?

If the cost of dealing with a sale/support is reduced or sales made more
profitable/easier by using their system then that's your reason. (setting up
out going mail in outlook | will that peripheral work with WinXP / OS X |
where can I buy tickets for the next Fulham home game)...

<tip type="Secure certificates" author="Liam Delahunty">
If you have a secure certificate on your site, make sure you know when it
expires and hassle your ISP for a copy of the updated cert before it
expires.

I have wasted two weeks chasing them since the ISP allowed the previous one
to expire and didn't install the new one, and the "account manager" (sales
rep) didn't really have a clue what to do...

That's cost me, and my clients who use the SSL server money in lost sales.
Thank God we don't have a swear box in the office...
</tip>

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty
:: http://www.corx.co.uk/ ::