[thelist] MySQL as CMS

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Wed Nov 6 15:20:01 CST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Paul Bennett wrote:
> >Taxing the database might not be as bad a problem as you think - we've
> >built a similar system, and all the database query functions (as well as a
> >few others) have built-in caching mechanisms that store the results, in
> >php's serialized form, in temporary files.
>
> I have never heard of this before, and have worked with php/MySQL for
> the past year and a half. What is involved in caching database queries
> "in php's serialized form, in temporary files" ? Just a very brief
> outline would be helpful :)

I'd be interested in this too.  I understand the concept of cacheing
database queries, though some PHP code would be informative.

My question would be how is serializing/unserializing data to and from
temporary files on disk faster than just making the queries?  It seems
that the management and processing overhead would be significant..

I've developed my own php-based CMS before (I didn't really know what CMS
was then) and have been thinking about re-visiting for a second go-round.
On that attempt I found that while what I'd developed was very powerful,
it was so complicated to administer (unless you had programmed it
yourself:) that it did not really serve it's purpose.

I've been wrestling with whether I should try to design a new system from
scratch or if I should find one that exists and modify it to suit my
needs.  Either way, I want to find a standard platform that I can use to
develop sites with, because I'm tired of reinventing my own wheels.

Some CMS I've run across that look to have some promise:
http://www.typo3.com/
http://www.simian.ca/
http://www.dotvoid.com/firesite.php
http://www.binarycloud.com/

I like the last one the best, but I'm concerned it doesn't seem to have
had any updates for about a year.  If anyone has any experience with
pre-existing CMS that run under PHP (and preferably PostgreSQL), speak!

--Kelly
  http://wrack.org/