[thelist] who has Javascript turned off?

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Nov 8 12:31:24 CST 2002

At 11:45 PM 08-11-02, matt s. wrote:
>Does anyone know of actual numbers out there, along the lines of
>browser/plug-in stats, on how many users have their Javascript turned
>off?

Who knows...?
There's no such thing as "reliable" Web statistics. At best you get data
from counter sites, which may already introduce a selection bias.

It really doesn't matter what the average of the web user base is. All that
matter is whether the audience *your* site is targetting are likely to have
JS turned off. If they happen to be stock brokers, for instance, probably
not. And such people are less likely to use alternative browsers too. Just
an example.

>  It seems like a surprisingly high number of people on this list
>have it turned off (or say they do),

aardvark, aardvark!

>I'm wondering if this reflects
>the population as a whole or is just particular to this community.

I honestly don't believe we have *any* way of figuring out what the
"population as a whole" does. That's like saying "the average user does
[insert dogma here]" when of course, there is no such thing as "the average
user".

There are lies, damn lies, and Web site statistics. ;)

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy