[thelist] Naming Conventions and Workflow

Kevin p+evolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Sat Nov 9 14:36:07 CST 2002

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for working on continuous projects,
be they websites or whatever.  Specifically regarding storage on your

In case it's of any use to anyone else I'll explain how I do things myself.

Directories for business work
		2001/  2002/  current projects/
	When I'm finished a project I move it into the appropriate directory.
	I just do a little bit of freelance work, but for a company this would need to
	be altered I feel.

	In order to avoid the 'finalfinal_this_is_the_absolutely_final_version.html'
	what I tend to do is create folders
		mock1/ mock2/ mock3/ etc...
	Then when the site goes live simply have a www/ folder which is synched with
	the live site.

File Naming.
	As with the folders above I follow the same idea.
	projectname1.psd, projectname2.psd etc...
	If I know beforehand there's going to be a lot of branching
	(for a logo design for example) then I'll go into levels.

	projectname1.a.psd projectname1.b.psd for variations.

Of course, I personally run into problems with this because I have sections
for business, academic work, volunteer work, messing with software etc... and
so it's a little all over the place but it works for me.  I'm looking for a
more complete structure for me to follow so that it could evolve into a more
coherant structure.

- Kevin