[thelist] What shall we do with the W3C DOM?

Max Kanat-Alexander maxka at cats.ucsc.edu
Sat Nov 9 20:19:31 CST 2002

At 05:54 AM 11/6/2002, you wrote:
>[snip[ Instead, we can offer the user a way to create his/her own web page,
>with exactly those elements and that interaction he/she wants, likes or
>needs.

         I think that the most basic question, which I've seen some other
people post in some masked form is: Does the user /want/ to?

         Now, when I'm developing a page, I spend a /lot/ of time there. I
can think of a whole lot of ways that perhaps it could look. I can think of
all sorts of additions and things that people might use.

         However, when I'm browsing as a user, I spend about 10% of my
attention span on several different pages at a time. I go through web pages
like butter. There's hardly a single page that I spend a lot of time on, in
any given session. So, would I want to customize my web pages? Well, not
particularly.

         The idea of customizing web pages _could_ be brilliant, but it
would take a brilliant application which I cannot envision now. Just like
any new technology, the only thing that will ever get it off the ground is
a killer application.

         If I think of one, I'll let you know.

         -M

         P.S. Although this does get me thinking -- with XUL, some awesome
things could be done in this context. (Although I can't think of /useful/
things that could be done. Just really /cool/ things.)