[thelist] Win32 software - download (ftp) only updated files?

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sun Nov 10 22:23:01 CST 2002

At 08:43 AM 11-11-02, Nik Schramm wrote:
>I gave up on Dreamweaver about a year ago, when my interests shifted
>towards web standards and handcoding, but as I recall its built-in FTP
>service does exactly what you want.

Oh yes, it does that alright, but it violates an important interface design
principle by giving you absolutely no feedback about what's happening. (I'm
talking about the "Put" option here.)
When you synchronise, it goes into limbo for the time your files are being
sent by FTP and becomes totally unresponsive. You get control over the
window only when the files have been sent. No "transferring..." box, nothing.

Did I just rant? Yes, I believe I did.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy