[thelist] Win32 software - download (ftp) only updated files?

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Mon Nov 11 10:13:01 CST 2002

On Monday, November 11, 2002, at 11:02 AM, Nik Schramm wrote:

> On 11.Nov.02 05:24 Madhu Menon wrote
>
> > Oh yes, it does that alright, but it violates an important interface
> > design principle by giving you absolutely no feedback about what's
> > happening. (I'm talking about the "Put" option here.)
> > When you synchronise, it goes into limbo for the time your files are
> > being sent by FTP and becomes totally unresponsive. You get control
> > over the window only when the files have been sent. No
> > "transferring..." box, nothing.
>
> Ah yes, now I remember why I gave up on Dreamweaver :)
>
> --
> /nik

Dreamweaver MX has the "synchronize" option. It first scans
local/remote, displays a list of which files are to be changed, then
you click "Go". It then has a status bar which shows progress file by
file, and on completion you get a log, which you can save or discard.
All in all, the new MX version is pretty terrific.

But, like any tool, it has advantages and disadvantages. When I don't
have access to "includes" for a particular account, templates are a
real timesaver, and yet don't change the HTML code of each page except
for a few comment tags.

A big disadvantage is that it does strange things with HTML character
entities and global search and replace....

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com