[thelist] Personal Firewalls (was: Re: apache and PHP and winXP)

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Mon Nov 11 15:49:01 CST 2002

I really would encourage anyone running a personal/software firewall on
their machine to pay the $90CDN it will cost to buy a broadband router
with included firewall:

-- so much more secure than a personal firewall whose sole job it is to
pop up alerts (otherwise why would you pay for it?)
-- gives you a 4 port 10/100 switch
-- rock-solid performance in connecting to your dial-up or broadband
connection (my high point using DSL was 1000 hours, and the connection
dropped because of a power outage)

The newest ones even have things like a built-in Dynamic DNS client
(Netgear), so one less service you have to run on your machine!

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com