[thelist] [CODE] bloated image src names

r937 at interlog.com r937 at interlog.com
Tue Nov 12 16:36:01 CST 2002

>> down with folder bloat!!!
>
> are you kidding???

no, although i did want to convey a light-hearted attitude

i wasn't trolling, honest

;o)

> i mean, i'll assume you've got a good reason for this,
> but how could 1000 individually named files in the root
> be bettar than penney arkade?  umm... excuse me, i mean,
> better than a few layers of categorized folders?

too bad i have to type this, rather than say it, as words are
often so inadequate on their own, unaccompanied by facial
gestures, intonation, and arm-twisting

let me respond to jeff and see if that helps

> first, to provide a folder for the client to
> upload images for their site with no worries
> about them deleting or renaming images that are
> key to the design of the site.

very valid reason...

.. assuming it applies, which it does not in every site

especially my site, eh

i don't allow nobody to upload there   ;o)

> second, product imagery.  in the case of one client,
> there are over 4000 products in the database.  each
> product has 4 images.  that's over 16,000 images in
> one directory.  it wouldn't make any sense to throw
> the dozen+ images for other sections of the site in
> with those 16,000.  that'd make it a pain to find the
> few, non-product related images.

sorry, not valid

define "makes sense"

if finding an image is a pain, the naming convention is inadequate

i'll tell you what (aside: anybody a sunday night football fan?
doesn't paul mcguire drive you nuts?  i swear, that is the
most annoying phrase i've heard in years, and he says it
over, and over, and over...)

where was i?   oh yeah...

i'll tell you what, show me a directory with fifty thousand images
in it, and i bet i can drop three or four of my own in there and then
find them -- just by their name!!! -- in seconds

it's all in the naming convention

seriously, if you have images in an "images" folder, i bet you can
replace the slash with an underscore, and not hit the 64-char
file name limit, and does that make an individual image any
harder to find?

six of one, a half dozen of the other

rudy