[thelist] [Flash] ::: External .swf ::: Access to "parent" object model

Chris Marsh chris at webbtech.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 09:08:01 CST 2002

Dear all

I am currently obliged to edit a Flash movie and have very little Flash
experience, so please forgive me if my terminology is incorrect.

The flash movie contains an empty movie clip which loads an external
.swf on a given event. I need to now have an event within the external
.swf which loads a different external .swf file into the movie clip
within the "parent" .swf file. If I can do this, how do I reference the
movie clip? I know that if the reference was within the movie clip
itself I could use (eg) _root/MovieClip, but within the external .swf I
am assuming that when I make this reference it's looking for MovieClip
within itself, rather than from the root of the "parent" file...

Hope this is clear :)

TIA

Regards

Chris Marsh