[thelist] php design question

MarsHall evolt at MARSorange.com
Mon Nov 18 21:10:01 CST 2002

Classes and includes are unique levels of any programming language.

Includes are language constructs. Constructs instruct the interpreter
or compiler how to assemble the actual code. Other constructs include:
if-then, foreach...

Classes are relational groupings. They serve as higher-level way for a
programmer to organize their procedures. Other relational groupings
are: functions, subroutines...

Most modern programming languages I know of have include [or header]
features which work on a completely different level of the language
than the actual classes/objects do.

Quite literally, neither can take the place of the other. The include
construct just happens to have functionality that (to a programmer
without a solid CS-style background) can make it work kinda like a
class does.

Rudy wrote:
> well, maybe i'm spoiled, working in the database world, where
> things only exist once (because you declare primary keys, right?)
> and multiple times only through defined relationships

That must be because you only use Relational Databases [RDBMS] ;)

Object-Oriented Databases exist too:
	- Zope in Python ( http://www.zope.org/ )
	- Ozone in Java ( http://ozone-db.org/ )
are two OODBMS's with which I am familiar.

Rudy also wrote (in a different post):
> listen, i do apologize for always coming back to how things work in
> coldfusion, but it's the only web scripting and database language i
> know,
> and i'm hoping someone can relate this object class goodness to me
> once they know where i'm coming form

ColdFusion is objects that are pre-built to solve the most common
Web-specific programming tasks. That's why it seems so simple :)  All
programming languages are "pre-objectified" to some degree with their
intended purpose in mind.

Mars :)