[thelist] seeking book recommendation for topics: XML XSLT XPath...

Steve Lewis nepolon at worlddomination.net
Tue Nov 19 16:48:01 CST 2002

I am looking for a recommendation or two for books dealing with these
topics.  In particular, I want to see some useful case studies (not toy
examples) for and against use of them at different times.  I want to see
interesting and creative ways to solve problems with the help of these
tools (presumably in conjunction with intense DB usage) as well as an
exploration of off-the-web application, and legacy system integration.

Very importantly, *The book should not be a sales pitch for .NET*

Thus far the best thing I have been able to find is a book titled
 _*Essential XML Quick Reference: A Programmer's Reference to XML,
XPath, XSLT, XML Schema, SOAP, and More_*
by Aaron Skonnard
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Skonnard%2C%20Aaron/102-7297234-9383312>,
Martin Gudgin
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author=Gudgin%2C%20Martin/102-7297234-9383312>

This book is little more than a 'reference' but I understand it is well
written enough to provide more clarity to these topics which may aid me
in meditating on the Dao of  Problem Solving.  Anyone confirm or deny
the value of this book?  Anyone have other recommendations?

--Steve