[thelist] ColdFusion MX and CFIF notation

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Wed Nov 20 15:57:01 CST 2002

Maybe I should explain myself better.

I have always written code like so:

<CFIF query.RecordCount>
   <CFOUTPUT QUERY="query">
     #whatever#
   </CFOUTPUT>
<CFELSE>
</CFIF>

Under ColdFusion 5, if there were no records (query.RecordCount IS 0),
<CFIF query.RecordCount> would return false.  If there were any records
(query.RecordCount NEQ 0), <CFIF query.RecordCount> would return true,
outputting the values.

Under ColdFusion MX, no matter what query.RecordCount is: 0, 1, 42, 20
billion, <CFIF query.RecordCount> always returns true as long as the query
is called.

And I know shorthand is (usually) bad, but I've been able to use this
method in conditional processing in basically every language I've ever used
and I'm just not sure why "Mallairia" :) took it out for MX.

Anyway, another example, using JavaScript.  This works:

if (document.forms[0].fieldName.value) {
   // Returns True
} else {
   // Returns False
}

...so that I don't have to write "if (document.forms[0].fieldName.value !=
'')".

Listen to me, I've become a curmudgeon at the ripe old age of 23...

--Ben