[thelist] Dreamweaver/Ultradev Wildcard Character

Steve Webster steve at netbreed.co.uk
Sun Nov 24 05:57:01 CST 2002

Hi Rob,

> Is there a wildcard character in Dreamweaver that would allow me to a search
> based on a patter of characters...

Yes. I didn't know until you asked and I went looking, but Dreamweaver
supports regular expression search and replace operations.

> from:
> <LINK href="productA_files/display.css" type=text/css rel=StyleSheet>
> <LINK href="productB_files/display.css" type=text/css rel=StyleSheet>
> <LINK href="productC_files/display.css" type=text/css rel=StyleSheet>
>
> to: (replacing anything between     'href="' and '/display.css' )
> <LINK href="../css/display.css" type=text/css rel=StyleSheet>
> <LINK href="../css/display.css" type=text/css rel=StyleSheet>
> <LINK href="../css/display.css" type=text/css rel=StyleSheet>

Using the examples you've given, bring up the Find and Replace... dialog
and tick the Use Regular Expressions checkbox. You then need to enter
the following into the Search For: textbox...

  <LINK href="([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)/display.css" type=text/css rel=StyleSheet>

...and enter the following in the Replace with: textbox...

  <LINK href="../css/display.css" type=text/css rel=StyleSheet>

Of course, there's a lot of unnecessary stuff in here since most of the
text is being replaced with exactly the same text. So you could cut the
Search for: and Replace with: text to...

  href="([a-zA-Z0-9_]*)/display.css"

...and...

  href="../css/display.css"

...respectively.