[thelist] IE breaks up background and borders on CSS

Aleem Bawany aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Mon Nov 25 01:28:01 CST 2002

IE is giving me some weird behavior on the following page:
http://one.com.pk/aleembawany2/

It breaks up when I scroll down or focus away and back to
the window. The cause of it all is the #container element:

#container {
	padding: 15px;
	width: auto;
	text-align: left;
	border:1px dashed #333;
	background-image: url('halftone.gif');
	}

1) If I take off the background-image and put a
background-color, the background doesn't break up anymore.

2) The borders break for some reason. Plus, IE for no reason
adds a border around the bottom site navigation links (The
area around which it puts a border is not even a div or
a block or logical section). Annoying!

3) There are some padding issues with content div (inconsistent
across browsers). Is there any way to specify padding which
applies only to IE and not to other browsers? (like the css
box model hack selectively applies width, only I need padding)

4) Can someone please check it on Opera (if it breaks up, a
screenshot would really or resolution would really help).

If you wish to download the site and test it, simply download
http://one.com.pk/aleembawany2/bare.zip [3Kb zip]

alternatively, these links should be enough:
http://one.com.pk/aleembawany2/index.html
http://one.com.pk/aleembawany2/halftone.gif
http://one.com.pk/aleembawany2/layout.css

please give me some workarounds, suggestions, fixes...

thanks,
aleem