[thelist] What would be your perfect Newspaper website?

kristina ml at kfxdesign.net
Mon Nov 25 08:07:00 CST 2002

Aaron,

Monday, November 25, 2002, 1:50:01 PM, Aaron wrote:

<:>
> How would you guys visually redesign the Holland
> Sentinel website (www.hollandsentinel.com).
<:>

  firstly - kill the popup!

  then I think I would remove the bold from the
  sections links and take away the little dot
  things as its taking up valuable space - to
  highlight the fact that these are links I might
  consider putting borders round them with a
  different colour bg, so they look like buttons
  and having a more readable colour on mouseover -
  the orange I can imagine is hard for some people
  to read against the pale blue bg

  the section titles should be textual - as what
  has been acheived there with graphics is
  achievable w/css and in a much more dynamic way

  the title image is much to big - and for that
  matter not the most obvious title graphic - its
  very hard to read - and it looks like an advert

  I think the title should at the very least be
  above the advert - and if poss make the advert
  vertical and fit into one of the columns

  there are plenty of other things that could be
  done to tidy this site up - it does look a bit
  of a mish mash at the moment not the best use of
  space - the calender should move into one of the
  columns - as could the weather

  the online features - i would move into the
  middle column

  you definitely have the opportunity to use a
  much more fluid design here - or at the very
  least the middle column should be fluid.

  if it was me I might even consider scrapping the
  3rd column and just having 2.

  sorry i don't have time to be more specific -
  i've just very quickly typed up some ideas - i
  hope they are of some help to you....

  ;o)

--
bfn