[thelist] RE: Web Developer Certification

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Tue Nov 26 10:29:01 CST 2002

> > Clients need to first recognise the awarding body as having integrity
> > and value before giving the certification credibility.
> >
> > So where do you start, who do your clients trust?
>
> I'm guessing that 99.9% of average clients don't know the W3C
> from Adam, so
> who does that leave? Microsoft, IBM, Apple...the BBC, BT, the
> government?!?
>
> Graham

Lord help us.

I would hope that if and when such a standardized web development industry
comes to be, it will not be governed or regulated by corporations, but
rather by recognized standards organizations like IEEE, ISO, ANSI, etc.

I understand that those orgs certainly have their baggage, but at least
they're not Micro$oft.

This is not uncharted territory, of course. There is more than enough
precedent in other technical fields where standardization has become the
norm. I do feel that our first stepping stone may be certification of
developers, though. Where you would normally certify a product as compliant
with a standard, in our business we (the developer) are really the product,
aren't we?

BH