[thelist] what is this scam?

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Tue Nov 26 13:54:01 CST 2002

>I've had this happen on my computer a number of times now and it
>really bothers me. I get this popup window:
>
>http://www.pixelmech.com/test/scam.gif

You are the victim of a windows messenger spam attack.

Probably randomly picked your IP and hit it with a pop-up.

Disable the messenger service:

	http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

If you go to a DOS prompt and type "net send" you can send pop-up messages
to other computers on your domain (Windows domain, not DNS domain). I'm not
sure how it would work based on IP addresses, but I can't see any other way
for it to happen, unless they have some sort of stealth trojan sent in
e-mail spam that then sends messages from a trusted user (the e-mail reader)
inside the domain.

HTH,
-dave