[thelist] what is this scam?

Paul Roub paul at roub.net
Tue Nov 26 13:57:01 CST 2002

These are Windows Messenger popups.

Actually, firewall software (or better yet, hardware) *would* help.  So
would turning off NetBios over TCP/IP on your Ethernet connection.  You can
also disable the Messenger service on your PC, but to be honest, if you're
exposed enough for this attack to work, you're exposed enough for all sorts
of fun.  Invest in some sort of firewall protection.

-paul