[thelist] what is this scam?

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Tue Nov 26 14:20:01 CST 2002

> mini-rant: why is crap like this /enabled/ by default?

I'll answer that with another question: why are most of the defaults on a
Unix system to allow, rather than deny? What's the differenct?

Unix is by default an open system; defaults for new files, directories, etc.
are permissive rather than exclusive. Obviously, I'm not saying *nix isn't
secure, but default installations tend toward openness until someone
tightens things up.

Is it bad and wrong that Windows is the same way? (in this specific regard,
not re: security in general; I'm not ignerrunt enough to defend Windows
security in general)

joel