[thelist] Use of common database for membership site

evolt at zamba.com evolt at zamba.com
Tue Nov 26 17:35:02 CST 2002

I've looked at what seems to be innumerable program options, but seem to
be spinning my wheels here. My preference would be php/msql but I'm open
to suggestions!
The site is a professional photographic organisation. At the moment they
are using a filemaker pro database and supply me with an excel
spreadsheet each month with the entire membership details updated (they
want to maintain an offline database option). Currently I convert this
into a flat file and use it for a searchable online database. Numbers
are currently 500 but are likely to grow to around 1500 in a year.
I want to have a members area on the site accessible by password, with
the usual options of pwd selection, mailing lost pwd etc together with
auto-expiry of membership and membership renewal/change details online.
Apart from the need to update their offline database by supplying them
with a "matching database input" this is no huge drama, there are
several program options.
My difficulty comes because I also am implementing an online portfolio
system for them using Gallery (php/mysql) and I want to use the
membership password as the password for that. I would also like to use
the same password for a forum facility (probably Invision but could be
Vbulletin).
I've also been looking at some content management/portal systems like
Drupal and TYPO3 but I feel I've lost the plot.

Tony Page

      [ZambaGrafix]
   <websites that work>
tel: +61 2 9953 4425