[thelist] why ftp?

Head Dragon:) Dragon-Vision at comcast.net
Mon Dec 2 17:14:01 CST 2002

FTP maintains a control signal during the transfer on one port and
uses another port for transfer.

FTP at 15K on a t1 means somewhere, throttling of bandwidth is going
on.  I worked for an ISP and was one hop off the end of a T3 and
pulled data from Ascend's support server (200Megs) at 40Mb a sec.

FTP is very low overhead the control signal tells the other end to
send or resend at the end of each buffer fill.  The transfer signal
just pours the data until told by the control signal to stop.

--
Sincerely,
Kid Stevens Webmaster Dragon Vision Design

"Warning,
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons.
They will make you crunchy and eat you with ketchup."
-Unknown Author