[thelist] Dreamweaver MX "Sharing Violation"

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Mon Dec 2 18:23:01 CST 2002

> Has anyone else gotten a "Sharing Violation" when
> attempting to save files using Dreamweaver MX?

This happened to me all the time. Turns out is was the backup software
running on the server. It was set to backup a file to tape everytime the
file was modified, and since the OS locks the file while it's being
copied to tape, I'd get the sharing violation if I tried to save twice
within 20 seconds or so (like after noticing a typo and changing it).

Once we told the backup software to take a less aggressive approach,
everything was fine.

The only time I get it now is if there's SEVERE network traffic and it
takes forever to get my first save command to the server, so the second
one arrives at roughly the same time (once the traffic jam unclogs).

Hope that helps!

--Ken