[thelist] Object-Based Search

Adam Slesinger badlanners at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 3 16:40:01 CST 2002

Hi all,

My bosses tell me that I need to evaluate a search engine and tell them if
it can do a list of 6 things they would like to see it do.  Its an ASP page
that uses this Query object.

Set objQuery = Server.CreateObject("ixsso.Query")

After reading up on it at MSDN and interperting the code, I have a fair
understanding of how it currently works.  I just don't know what it is
capable of doing.

The Querey uses @CONTENTS agsinst the keywords entered. The columns that are
retreived and returned in the page results include VPath, doctitle,
description, and HitCount.

One thing my bosses want is to be able to search certain sections which I
believe I can manipulate with the objQuery.Catalog property. Another thing
they want to see is if page meta tag descriptions can be returned with
search words bolded.  I can't answer them because I need to know more about
how this works.  It seems as only file information is available and not page
contents - but I'm not sure.

What I need is more reference material about this subject and your thoughts.
Can anyone point me to where I can learn more about this and what it can do?

Thanks mucho.

adam