mail server for linux (was RE: [thelist] apache linux web service ports)

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Dec 3 21:54:01 CST 2002

At 07:11 PM 12/3/2002, Joel Canfield wrote:

>For a Windows sysadmin/netadmin who's pretty new to but comfortable with
>*nix, what would anyone recommend for a mail server?

The big gorilla is Sendmail, but I'm a big qMail fan. Load qMail up with
vPopMail (virtual pop services), mySQL backend, ezl-mlm-idx (mailing list
software), and you have a great little mail system. I also run qMailScanner
tied into SpamAssassin for flagging spam. I'm going to be adding an IMAP
server and run SquirrelMail as the web mail client soon.

The install of all that stuff can be a bit daunting, but I found it a great
learning experience.

Here's some links to get you started:

http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html
Also www.qmail.org for a ton of related packages

http://www.ezmlm.org/

http://inter7.com/vpopmail/
http://www.inter7.com/vqadmin/
http://inter7.com/qmailadmin/

http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.net/
http://www.spamassassin.org

I have a cheesy install doc I use to help me with setup. If you want that
I'll send it off line to ya.
---
Anthony Baratta
President