[thelist] maximum page load for users leave?

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at peak.org
Wed Dec 4 13:41:24 CST 2002

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:28:03 -0800, Chris W. Parker <cparker at swatgear.com>
wrote:

>> I've always worked to the 'under 8secs' rule but I'd really
>> like to see some propter research/stats on this....
>
> i think some people (jakob nielsen may be one) say even 1 second is too
> long. 8 seconds seems to me to be a really generous wait time.

It totally depends.

If I am checking something important, like the status of my UPS shipment or
what's playing at the movie theatre, I'll wait longer than, say if I am
reading your catblog and realize that I'm not all that interested in
waiting for the webcam to update.

If your site seems to have the information I want, then I'll spend more
time there. If it doesn't, I'll leave.

Oh, and have I mentioned that I surf with images turned OFF?  The one way
to get me to leave for sure is if I have to turn on images to view your
site.  Or enable Flash.  It's not about bandwidth (I'm on DSL/cable most of
the time) it's about good design.

Then again if your site relies on images, it probably isn't ranked well in
Google and the only way I would find it would be word of mouth or dumb
luck.

TjL
wondering where in the world can you find a site (that you would want to
read) that responds in 1 second

--
Timothy J. Luoma