[thelist] how to prevent robots from submitting forms?

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Wed Dec 4 13:47:01 CST 2002

> I have various contact forms that seem to be followed by various
> robots(search engines, etc).

Are you sure that they are not being sent by users just hitting the submit
button?  Check your logs and see what kinds of referer is being left.

OPEN QUESTION: Has anyone ever heard of robots submitting forms?

> What's the best/easiest way to prevent this from happening?

The only way to prevent the form being sent would be some Javascript
requiring certain fields to have a value.  The alternative is to run server
side scripts that ignore those entries that are left blank.

HTH,
Josh
http://www.efeingold.com