[thelist] Long Date to Datetime Conversion

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 4 14:21:01 CST 2002

I have a sql dump file of a bunch of news articles that I need to import
into a MySQL database. However, the dates on all the records is in long
format (like "October 13, 1998") and the database field that the dates
will be entered into is in datetime format. Normally, I would change the
date column to varchar, but there's already a BUNCH of records already
there.

Is there a painless method of converting the date format so that
"October 13, 1998" would become "1998-11-13" ?

Thanks in advance!

Alan