[thelist] batch JPG -> PSD?

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Wed Dec 4 19:04:01 CST 2002

> You would have to record a custom action. (Photoshop has some
> default ones as examples)

I tried following my nose on this, and despite my comfort with a wide range
of software, I never got anywhere until someone gave me a step-by-step. I'm
returning the favor:

Creating a Macro in ImageReady or PhotoShop

1.	Open an example of the file to be modified.
2.	Click the Actions tab in the Layers/History/Actions (LHA) window if
it's visible. If it's not, go to 'Window | Show Actions'
3.	On the right side of the LHA window is a little arrow; click it and
choose "New Action"
4.	Give it a name and if you like, a keystroke.
5.	Click record.
6.	Resize your open gif file to the size you want for all your files -
this can be done based on width only, height only, or a percentage and so
on.
7.	Choose your optimization (optimize window) and then do a 'Save
Optimized As.'  (You'll need to set up separate action scripts if you want
gifs in some and jpegs in others...do one for jpeg and one for gif)
8.	Click the small rectangle at the bottom of the LHA window to stop
recording. The script is now recorded.
9.	Select your action.
10.	Click the arrow to the right of Actions.
11.	Choose "Create droplet"
12.	Open the saved droplet.
13.	Double-click "Batch options" and modify any settings. You can choose
to rename your changed files with a number (gif01.gif) or you can overwrite
the originals; you can also choose the destination of the new files.
14.	To run the droplet, drag and drop a file (or an entire folder) onto
it.

joel