[thelist] wvdial setup on Linux (Debian)

abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Thu Dec 5 14:51:21 CST 2002

On Thursday 05 December 2002 02:31 pm, you wrote:
> now that I have installed Linux for the 4th time (and everytime it is
> completely different) I have manged to get the wvdial to do something :)
>  However the something isn't much!
>
> -->Wvdial: Internet dialer version 1.20
> -->Cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory
>
> Shall I reformat the hard drive and install again?
>
> Or how can I find out where the modem is?

I sure hope I'm not so far off on this that I'm wasting bandwidth again, but
is your modem compatible with the OS? I couldn't *find* my modem either (huh,
it's right there on the back of the box 8-)) and turns out I had a winmodem
which in my non-tech understanding is that it's more of a modem-lite.

So, I plugged in the old 56k external, rebooted and my RH7.2 identified it
right away.

(and, I went through at least 6 installs with SuSE, Debian and RedHat before
everything was almost working right)