[thelist] Flash site and Search Engines

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Thu Dec 5 17:19:00 CST 2002

At 1:54 PM 12/5/2, .jeff wrote:
>it's already been mentioned that links to your site are important.  that's
>overlooking the most obvious and most important -- content.  sure, to the
>flash-enabled user there's content (though not alot), but to the non-flash
>user (which would include search engines), there's only a paragraph or so of
>content on a single page.  that amount of content most surely will not get
>your site indexed with any amount of relevance or page rank (far more
>important and difficult than just getting your site indexed).

It may not matter... depends on the engine. Remember "talentless hack"?
(Interesting, though, that Google's current page-ranking has dropped Andy's
site...
Technorati now says he's ranked 127th on that term!)

Content can be indirectly critical, because this would have an effect on
links to you, but so much depends on which engines you're targeting, and
how you'd like people to find you through it.

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://jdmx.blogspot.com/