[thelist] why is my google rating so bad (sitecheck www.grite chnologies.com)

Buffington, Michael michael.buffington at opbu.xerox.com
Thu Dec 5 18:14:01 CST 2002

In addition to some of the mechanical things people have been pointing out, I think Google bases a lot of it's ranking on the ranks, and amount, of sites linking to you. Right or wrong, it seems to be how they do it.

Do a search for "saltines", and you might expect a site for the brand of Saltine crackers to appear, as that might be the most relevant content, but the fact is, not too many people are linking to Nabisco's Saltine Crackers site.

Also, try "horseradish". Within the first few results, the same strange rankings.

I don't mind so much considering that stinkfactor.com is my site, but it's not what I'd consider "relevant" (except in the case of "horseradish", which used to list stinkfactor.com above horseradish.org).

Also, to further support my "ranks/number of high ranked sites" theory, do a search for "coldfusion resume". Somewhere on stinkfactor.com, I link to my personal site, michaelbuffington.com. The site alone gets a worthy amount of traffic, but I know that the amount of links coming in is pretty low, and can almost guarantee that Google takes stinkfactor.com's popularity, along with the popularity of any other site that links to mine that Google knows about into account when determining my site's rank.