[thelist] why is my google rating so bad (sitecheck www.grite chnologies.com)

Mike Migurski mike at saturn5.com
Thu Dec 5 18:33:01 CST 2002

>I think Google bases a lot of it's ranking on the ranks, and amount,
>of sites linking to you. Right or wrong, it seems to be how they do it.
>Also, to further support my "ranks/number of high ranked sites" theory,
>do a search for "coldfusion resume". Somewhere on stinkfactor.com, I link

It's not just a theory, it's Google's published explanation for how their
system works: http://www.google.com/technology/index.html

	PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by
	using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual
	page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to
	page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more
	than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also
	analyzes the page that casts the vote.  Votes cast by pages that
	are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make
	other pages "important."

They apparently use many other criteria to adjust the rankings, but this
one is the core of the thing.

-mike.

                 http://www.saturn5.com/mike/contact.html

                "Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!"