[thelist] flash experts? mac molasses

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Fri Dec 6 13:46:01 CST 2002

Lene noted that it played at what appeared to be a normal speed on an old
Mac there... that "one-or-all-machines" test is helpful.

How do you do on the "one-or-all-files" test? If it's only this one file
which plays slower than expected, then that could have a different set of
possible root causes than if all files play slowly on that system.

The "one-or-all-sessions" test reveals the true cause of many such "slow"
symptoms too... if some other application is working in the background then
that load has caused similar posts for others in the past.

"One-or-all-hosts" can reveal a different set of root causes... if it plays
speedier out of the browser than in the browser, then we'd start to
investigate whether the browser is doing simultaneous loads, or even in
some cases how the browser apportions processor time among guest processes.

Could be a couple of different sets of causes, but testing one element at a
time is the fastest way I've seen to identify the difference...?

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco
(Best to reply on-list, to avoid my mighty spam filters!)
Technotes: http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/
Column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/
Technical daily diary: http://jdmx.blogspot.com/