Learn Logic (WAS RE: [thelist] Testing for the various NULL's (Result!))

Max Kanat-Alexander maxka at cats.ucsc.edu
Fri Dec 6 17:31:01 CST 2002

At 12:58 PM 12/6/2002, you wrote:
> > What's even more weird is that these tests failed when on the
> > same line separated by an OR. They where however, successful
> > as you see them here, on different lines.
>
>ALERT: LOGIC LESSON APPROACHING . . .

         I have to say, that's some good stuff to know for anybody
programming anything.

         In all my Computer Science education, the one week it took to
learn about binary logic (AND, OR, etc.) was the most valuable thing I've
ever learned in programming (besides modularity...).

         Seriously, if you want to do yourself a HUGE favor, just pick up a
Discrete Math textbook from the library and read through the first few
chapters on logic. (Don't read the rest of it, it'll make you cry. Unless,
of course, you like to cry.) Or, I'm sure that there are good resources
online for learning binary logic.

         -Max