[thelist] Help me understand the requirements for MS SQL

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sun Dec 8 04:09:01 CST 2002

From: "Joel Canfield" <joel at spinhead.com>
Subject: RE: [thelist] Help me understand the requirements for MS SQL

: --
: [ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ]
: > I'm trying to demo MS SQL
: >
: > http://www.microsoft.com/cmserver/evaluation/sysreqs/default.h
: > tm says I can run it on XP Professional
:
: Kevin has addressed the 'this is CMS, not SQL' issue, but I'll clarify
: 'running MSSQL' a bit. You can run the *client* tools on Win2K, XP,
probably
: 3.1 for all I know. But the database itself requires server architecture
: run. So, to test drive MSSQL, you need a machine with server software
: running,

SQL Server 2000 comes in a number of "flavours"

MSDE - engine only, runs on Win98/ME (does not support Integrated
Authentication), Win2k Pro, WinXP Pro, WinNT Workstation.

Personal Edition. Comes with client tools. Runs on Win98/ME (does not
support IA), Win2k Pro, WinXP Pro, WinNT Workstation. Has client connection
limit. Does not support Analysis Services or English Query

Developer Edition. Same features as the regular server version of SQL
Server. Is only available (AFAIK) through MSDN etc. Runs on WinNT/2k/XP Pro.
Licence prohibits use in a production environment (I am running this on my
XP Pro laptop)

"Regular" - the SQL Server we all know

"Enterprise" - runs on Win2k Advanced Server and Datacenter Server

Cheers
Ken