[thelist] Hard Drive Partition for Linux

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Sun Dec 8 14:46:01 CST 2002

Andrew Maynes

>After not too much success of installing Debian on an old PC (no longer a
PC. I
>have decided it maybe best to partition another PC and install Linux on a
>partition (Win98 on one Partition and Debian on the other).  Does this
sound
>like a good plan?

Linux will work great on old hardware (esp. command line) to run a GUI
system takes a bit more hardware. Just think of a DOS system and windows
9x...

>Because Linux would not pick up the moden on the old box it
>should be able to detect a conection on the other partion?   Does this
sound
>right or am I heading for trouble?

Sorry you won't be able to run Linux & windows at _the same time_.

Your modem may be software driven (aka a "winmodem") and therefore not a
true modem, in which case you could be banging you head against a brick wall
for a long time.

"The purpose of this page is to identify consumer-grade modems
systematically and to note compatibility with Linux as reported by you, the
users." http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

http://www.tldp.org/
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linmodem-HOWTO.html

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/

Assuming from your email address that you're in the UK, it will be worth you
seeking out your local lug (Linux User Group) for advice, and if they do
such things pop along to an "install fest". "My" local lug:
http://gllug.linux.co.uk/

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty
http://www.liamdelahunty.com/ web/ design/ database/ programming