[thelist] remote administration utils

Max Kanat-Alexander maxka at cats.ucsc.edu
Mon Dec 9 18:40:02 CST 2002

> > http://www.tightvnc.com has both the optimized client
> > ('tight') and the
> > regular.
>
>thanks, i will take a look.
>
>chris.

         Be warned: VNC (including TightVNC) is not a secure solution,
because it doesn't support passwords longer than eight characters.

         There are tools that can work at cracking VNC passwords, and I'm
guessing the max time to crack is somewhere in the vicinity of 48 hours.

         Despite this, I use VNC and also recommended it to the place I
work, where they use it almost ubiquitously. If you need some sort of
better security, you could block off ports 5900 and 5800 in the router, and
then VNC would only be accessible from inside the LAN or through the VPN.

         -Max