[thelist] remote administration utils

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Mon Dec 9 19:26:01 CST 2002

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Joel Canfield
>
> Difference between TS and VNC/pcA is that TS only
> creates a session; not the same as sitting at the
> console. Not usually an issue, but a point to be aware
> of.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

i find this difference a huge plus.  i can be on the server taking care of
something while someone else is also connected.  we don't have to wrestle
each other for control of the mouse or keyboard.  also, another major
difference, in my experience, is the quality of the connection.  terminal
services doesn't suffer from the pokey redraw that vnc does.  things are
just as snappy as if you were sitting at the monitor for the server.

from a security standpoint, ts is more secure than vnc simply because vnc is
not keyed into any user system on the machine.  so, everyone with the vnc
access info has the same privileges.  in contrast, ts uses the built-in
security model.  so, i could hand out different account info to each person
and everyone could have distinct privileges on the same machine -- not to
mention that each person's activity is tracked automatically as it would be
if they were logging into that machine locally and doing things.

if i had to make the choice again, i would pick ts over vnc anyday.

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org
http://members.evolt.org/jeff/