[thelist] login sessions PHP

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Wed Dec 11 06:25:01 CST 2002

Andrew Maynes

>I am going to create an online magazine that will need to detect the user
based
>on global location.

Some systems do that based on the IP address so user doesn't have to select
UK / whatever. Google for it if you want to try the detect yourself. If you
do this, still let the user move to another region manually.

>I thought the best way to do this would be to assign a
>session according to location (country)  There will be 3 clearly defined
>locations when a new user signs up.  UK, Europe, Rest of World.  By
selecting
>one of these options the user will then be start a session for their
location.
>Does this sound the right thing to do?  Using PHP by the way :)

Well you could give the user an unique session, store it in a db, then on
every page look up where that user is and provide the right navigation and
content, but that's using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

If all you want to do is serve appropriate content, then just append
region=X on every URL after the user has decided where they are or you've
looked it up for them.

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty
Mega Products Limited, 10-11 Moor Street, Soho, London W1D 5NF
t: 020 7434 4201 f: 0870 135 8412
http://www.liamdelahunty.com/ web/ design/ database/ programming
http://www.britstream.com/ Hosting/ Domain Names From UKP 7.50 p.a.