[thelist] how do we hide contents? Challenge!!

Aleem Bawany aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Wed Dec 11 07:26:01 CST 2002

> I just saved it as HTML instead of PHP from Netscape 7, then
> opened the file in a text editor and deleted the javascript.
> Presto!  Mike's padlocked page is no longer locked.  Child's play.

Are you talking about the same page (
http://www.oaklanddesign.com/articles/pswf.html ) ? There's no PHP here.
The javascript is what write the document in the first place, and is in
itself encoded, so if you delete it you won't have anything left.

> Here it is if anyone's interested <g>
> http://www.cyber-kat.com/weblocknot/home.html
>
> Certainly glad
> I didn't spend $49.95 to get this product.  Aren't there
> places on the web that protect the unsuspecting from themselves?

Even if it did do a good job, I'm not sure why I would want it. There's
nothing worth encoding or hiding that people can't get elsewhere or they
can't replicate on their own (atleast people on this list can, i'm
sure).

Besides, where is the fun in that? And I can't think of any sites that
would be so good, that I had to see their source first hand. Well, okay,
maybe if the CSS hacks were kept secret and not made public I'd be
spending hours trying to figure out how they did what they did, but the
hacks themselves were an effort of much discussion, collaboration and
community effort. Why would someone want to hide the way they laid out a
table or arranged the divs? HTML is, after all, layout, I would simply
have to copy their graphics (screen shots) and could take on the rest of
the layout myself (not that I would want to).

And open-source promotes ideas and leads to better
design/code/logic/security/[insert your keyword here].

aleem

[ http://members.evolt.org/aleem/ ]