[thelist] Off-site Links in Articles

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 11 22:11:00 CST 2002

> From: Kevin W <null at tsn.cc>
>
> From the evolt.org FAQ's article "Submission Style Guide: Code" [1],
> under the heading "Off-Site Links", it says: "Please add a 'target'
> attribute to your links to open a new window so readers of your
> article on evolt.org don't lose their place. Please use "_blank" so
> all new links open in one window, since the use of "_new" opens links
> in a new window for each link."
[...]

yeah, i wrote that... at the time, i felt, from a 'marketing'
perspective, that it was a good way to go... since *all* links i
click are shift-clicked to a new window, well, it seemed natural to
me...

we have gone back and forth, and joel is right, it's really just
inertia that's kept it in place...

if you're asking if the style guide reflects current "best
practices," that's one thing... and i dunno for sure...

if you're asking why the hell we did it, well, you have yer answer...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself